Mehuli Ghosh is an Indian sports shooter, who represents India at several international junior shooting championships all over the world. She hit the headlines on 13 July 2022 when she won a gold medal along with her shooting partner Shahu Tushar Mane in the 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team final at the ISSF Shooting World Cup held at Changwon, Korea.
Mehuli Ghosh was born on Monday, 20 November 2000 (age 21 years; as of 2022) in Kalyani, West Bengal. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She completed her school education at Techno India Group Public School, Chinsurah, Hooghly. According to Mehuli Ghosh, in 2013, she began watching Rifle Shooting and Swimming sports on national television. In the following year, her father worked hard to arrange money for her admission to the Serampore Rifle Club in West Bengal so that Mehuli could pursue her career in sports. In a media interview, she stated,
I found shooting very interesting as it was not a well-known sport. Then I started gathering news and other relevant information about Shooting. My father being a temporary employee in West Bengal government, struggled for a year to collect enough money to allow me to withstand my passion. Then I joined Serampore Rifle Club in 2014.”
After some time of joining the Serampore Rifle Club, Mehuli Ghosh accidentally hit a rifle pellet on a club worker during a practising session. Soon, she was banned by the club. Later, she started taking rifle shooting training under Joydeep Karmarkar, a former Indian Olympic finalist and Arjuna Awardee and joined his Joydeep Karmarkar Shooting Academy and club.
Height (approx.): 4′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 48 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Nemai Ghosh, and he was a former West Bengal government employee. Her mother’s name is Metali Ghosh.
Mehuli Ghosh is not married.
In 2016, Mehuli Ghosh started participating in Indian national shooting competitions. She won two gold medals and seven silver medals in Indian National Shooting Championships held at Pune in 2016. She then participated in several National junior shooting championships in 2017 and won eight gold and three bronze medals. In the same year, Mehuli Ghosh participated in the junior shooting championship held in the Czech Republic, where she finished in seventh position. She participated in the 2017 Junior World Shooting Championship held in Germany and finished in the seventeenth position. At the end of 2017, she participated in the Asian Champions organised in Wako City, Japan, where she scored 420.1 points in shooting a 10 m rifle event. Upon winning this event, she secured her place in the Youth Olympics 2018 Quota. Mehuli Ghosh was the champion of the two World Cup medals at the ISSF World Cup in Mexico. Upon winning these medals, she became one of the youngest competitors from India who won these medals. She then participated in the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which were held at Gold Coast, Australia. In these XXI Commonwealth Games, Mehuli Ghosh won a silver medal in the Women’s 10m Air Rifle shooting championships after defeating her Singaporean of Filipino descent sports shooter opponent Martina Veloso. Upon winning this event, the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) ranked Mehuli Ghosh at sixth position in the world ranking and third in Asia ranking.
In 2018, Mehuli Ghosh finished at the seventh position during the junior shooting championships organised in the Czech Republic. During these championships, she was the only Indian shooter who reached the finals of the competition. In the same year, she participated in the ISSF world cup championships and clinched two Bronze medals. In the following year, Mehuli Ghosh clinched a gold medal at the South Asian Games organised in Nepal.
In 2019, Mehuli Ghosh was honoured with the Special Sports Award for her excellence in shooting sport by the Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee.
In the following year, she was felicitated with the title “Female Young Athlete of the Year” award during the Sportstar Aces Awards ceremony.
- Food: Chinese and Bengali
- Mehuli Ghosh likes listening to music, watching sporty, comedy, and horror movies, and shopping are her favourite pastime activities. In a media conversation, Mehuli Ghosh revealed that she likes beaches and cherishes travelling to foreign locations like the Maldives in her leisure time.
- According to some media sources, when Mehuli Ghosh was banned by the Serampore Rifle Club for accidentally shooting at a spectator, then she lost her morale and went into depression. Then, her parents consulted a psychiatrist, who gave Mehuli psychological counselling and treatment so that it could boost her morale in sports again.
- Mehuli is a fitness enthusiast. She often practises yoga before rehearsing shooting so that she could increase her concentration power in sports.
- She often posts her pictures and videos on various social media platforms. Mehuli Ghosh is followed by over 6k people on Instagram. On Twitter, she is followed by more than 8k people. Her Facebook page is followed by over 26k people.
- Mehuli Ghosh is trained by Randhir Singh, who is her national coach. Joydeep Karmarkar is her personal trainer.
- In 2019, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi sent Mehuli Ghosh an appreciation mail for her outstanding performance in the shooting sport.
- Mehuli Ghosh enjoys practising Karate and Swimming along with Shooting.
- In a media interview, Mehuli Ghosh stated that Abhinav Bindra and Joydeep Karmakar were her inspirations to choose shooting as a sports career. She added that at the age of eight, she began watching Abhinav Bindra and his matches on national television soon after he clinched a good medal for India. She said,
I was 8 yrs old, not knowing much what was going on, but I kept on watching,till the only individual Gold medal for India at the Olympics was won by this man! In a second I wanted to win it too..1000s must have dreamed the same..Thanks Sir.”
- Mehuli Ghosh likes planting saplings in her free time at her home and often participates in tree plantation drives in her locality.
- Mehuli Ghosh talked about her food habits in a conversation with a media reporter. In the discussion, she said that she enjoyed eating Chinese and Bengali food at home, but she hated eating carrots.
Mehuli Ghosh Wiki, Height, Age, Boyfriend, Family, Biography & More – WikiBio by Education Learn Academy