Padmapriya Janakiraman is an Indian actor, producer, dancer, and model who is known for her appearance in almost seven language film industries, namely, Bengali, Malayalam, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, English, and Telugu. She is a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
Padmapriya Janakiraman was born on Thursday, 28 February 1980 (age 42 years; as of 2022) in Delhi. She attended Kendriya Vidyalaya Trimulgherry in Secunderabad, Telangana, India. In 1997, Padmapriya pursued a diploma in Bharatnatyam, a major form of Indian classical dance, at Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University in Hyderabad, Telangana. Padmapriya graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce degree (1997-2000) from Loyola Academy in Alwal, Secunderabad, Telangana. In 2000, she studied Master of Business Administration (MBA) in finance and marketing at the Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies (KIAMS) in Harihar, Karnataka. Padmapriya received a graduate diploma in the environment protection act of India and international conventions studies from the National Law School of India University in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Padmapriya Janakiraman pursued a master’s degree in public administration, focusing on public finance and international development, at New York University, New York.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurement (approx.): 34-32-36
Padmapriya Janakiraman belongs to a South Indian family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Janakiraman, and her mother’s name is Vijaya. Her father has served as Brigadier in the Indian Army. Padmapriya has an elder brother.
Padmapriya Janakiraman follows Hinduism.
Padmapriya Janakiraman has worked as an Analystat ‘
In 2007, Padmapriya joined ‘
In August 2014, Padmapriya Janakiraman joined ‘NYU’s Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service’ in New York as a Research Assistant and continued till May 2015.
In July 2015, Padmapriya started working at the Centre for Policy Research (CPR) in New Delhi, India, as the Senior Researcher and continued for two years, i.e., till July 2017.
Padmapriya Janakiraman worked for ‘Sahapedia,’ a website and an online encyclopedia on the arts, cultures and histories of India accessible to all, in New Delhi, India. Padmapriya joined ‘Sahapedia’ in January 2019 and worked till March 2022.
In 2004, Padmapriya Janakiraman made her debut in the film industry with a Telugu tragedy drama film ‘Seenu Vasanthi Lakshmi.’ Padmapriya appeared as ‘Vasanthi’ in the film.
Padmapriya could be seen in other Telugu language films such as ‘Andari Bandhuvaya’ (2010) and Patel S. I. R. (2017).
Padmapriya Janakiraman made her debut in the Malayalam film industry (Mollywood) with the film ‘Kaazhcha’ in 2004. Padmapriya played the role of ‘Lakshmi’ in the film.
Padmapriya played various roles in other Malayalam language movies such as Sainaba Gopinathan in ‘Amrutham’ (2004), Malli in ‘Rajamanikyam’ (2005), Poongodi in ‘Karutha Pakshikal’ (2006), Sunanda in ‘Snehaveedu’ (2011), and many more.
In 2005, Padmapriya debuted in the Tamil film industry (Kollywood) with the film ‘Thavamai Thavamirundhu’ (2005) in which she appeared as Vasanthi Ramalingam. Reportedly, the film later won the National Film Award for Best Film on Family Welfare.
Padmapriya appeared in many other Tamil language films including ‘Satham Podathey’ (2007), ‘Pokkisham’ (2009), ‘Irumbu Kottai Murattu Singam’ (2010), ‘Thanga Meengal’ (2013), ‘Bramman’ (2014), and many more.
In 2010, Padmapriya Janakiraman made her debut in the Kannada film industry with the film ‘Thamassu.’ She appeared as Dr Shanthi in the film.
In 2010, Padmapriya appeared in an action-drama film ‘Striker,’ starring Siddharth Suryanarayan and others, and made her debut in the Bollywood film industry. In 2017, she appeared in a comedy-drama film ‘Chef’ along with co-star Saif Ali Khan.
Padmapriya Janakiraman debuted in the Bengali-language film industry in 2012 with the film ‘Aparajita Tumi’ in which she appeared as Kuhu.
In 2018, Padmapriya appeared as Maya in the Hindi language short film ‘Maya.’
- Reportedly, in October 2007, the headlines were heated when Padmapriya registered a police complaint against director Samy for allegedly slapping her on the sets of the film – Mirugam.
- According to some media outlets, M. A. Nishad, an Indian film director who predominantly works in the Malayalam film industry, filed a complaint against Padmapriya Janakiraman and her manager at Andhra Pradesh Film Chamber. Reportedly, Nishad, in his complaint, mentioned that Padmapriya’s manager would charge exorbitant commissions from the actors, who in turn ask for higher fees from the filmmakers. He added that this practice should be put to an end.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
National Film Awards
- In 2010, Padmapriya Janakiraman was honoured with The National Film Award – Special Mention (Feature Film) for the film ‘Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja’ (2009).
Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
- In 2007, Padmyapriya won the Tamil Nadu State Film Award Special Prize for the film ‘Mirugam’ (2007).
- In 2009, she won the best actress award for her performance in the film ‘Pokkisham.’
Kerala Film Critics Awards
- Padmapriya won the best actress award for the film ‘Karutha Pakshikal’ in 2006.
- In 2007, Padmapriya won the best actress award for her work in the film ‘Naalu Pennungal.’
- In 2009, she was awarded the second-best actress award for ‘Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja.’
Filmfare Awards South
- In 2005, Padmapriya Janakiraman was awarded best female debut (south) for the film ‘Thavamai Thavamirundhu.’
- In 2006, she won the best actress – Malayalam for her work in the film ‘Karutha Pakshikal.’
- Padmapriya won best-supporting actress – Malayalam for the film ‘Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja.’
Vanitha Film Awards
- In 2006, Padmapriya won the best actress award for the film ‘Karutha Pakshikal.’
- In 2010, she was awarded the best actress award for her work in the film ‘Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja.’
- Padmapriya Janakiraman, an avid Bharatnatyam dancer, started learning to dance when she was merely in class 3 in New Delhi from her guru, Jayalakshmi Eshwar.
- Reportedly, Padmapriya draped her favourite dance dress designed by her mother in the film ‘Chef’ (2017). In an interview, while talking about that dress, Padmapriya said,
It is my favourite dance dress. It is golden in colour, sourced and designed by my mother for one of my big dance performances on stage in the past. We have used it in a song called ‘Darmiyaan’ and a scene for the movie.”
- According to sources, Padmapriya was fascinated with modelling and used to practice it in her spare time. In 2001, she was crowned Miss Andhra Pradesh.
- Reportedly, Hurricane Sandy, an extremely destructive and strong Atlantic hurricane, occurred in New York while Padmapriya was pursuing her master’s degree in public administration at New York University because of which she had to spend four days in the university shelter.
- Vicky Ratnani is her favourite chef.
Padmapriya Janakiraman Wiki, Age, Height, Husband, Family, Biography & More – WikiBio by Education Learn Academy