Sagar Ahlawat is an Indian boxer who won a silver medal in the 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England in the plus 92 kg category.
Sagar Ahlawat was born on Friday, 7 July 2000 (age 22 years; as of 2022) in Dhandlan Village, Jhajjar, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He did his schooling at Brigadier Ran Singh Public School, Dojhana-n, Haryana. He then pursued Bachelor of Arts at Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh.
Height: 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 90 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Sagar hails from a Jaat family of farmers.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Rajesh Ahlawat, is a farmer. His mother’s name is Mukesh Ahlawat. His sister’s name is Tanu Ahlawat. He does not have any brothers.
Sagar started his training in boxing after completing class 12. He started training under coach Hitesh Deshwal at Jawahar Bagh stadium in Jhajjar, Haryana. In an interview, when Sagar’s coach Hitesh was asked about the training, he said,
I told him (Sagar) that he would need to follow a strict regimen. Many students leave after improving their physique. I told him if you are serious about boxing then you are most welcome, otherwise just leave. I would make three-four box against him at once. He has a lot of capacity to take a beating. I’d make him fight them for 6-8 rounds. This helped in increasing his will power and stamina. Sometimes, it would be him against a different boxer in every round for as many as eight consecutive rounds.”
He followed an exceptional routine of training, three times a day. In the mornings and the evenings, he would box and run. In the scorching afternoon heat when everybody would sleep, he would go out running near the canal for about 10-15 Km, tying a tire around his waist.”
He then participated in various boxing championships including the All-India University Championship and Khelo India University Games. He was then trained at National Camp in Patiala. He came into the limelight in 2022 after defeating senior boxers Satish Kumar and Narender Berwal at the national selection trials in Patiala. During an interview, while talking about defeating the boxers, he said,
Bhai sahib legend hain (Satish bhai is a legend). He has been the national champion since 2012 and became the first super heavyweight boxer to participate at the Olympics. Satish bhai sahib ne badhai diya, bahut achha laga… Unko dekh dekh ke bade huye hain boxing main.”
He bagged a silver medal at Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England under the plus 92 kg category. He defeated the England boxer Delicious Orie to win the medal.
His stance in the game is Southpaw. His coaches are Hitesh Deswal and Virender Dangi.
- 2018: Gold at 44th Junior Men State Boxing Championship, Haryana
- 2018: Gold at 47th Junior (Youth) Men National Boxing Championship, Haryana
- 2019: Gold at All-India University Championship
- 2020: Gold at PU Inter-College Boxing Championship
- 2021: Gold at PU Inter-College Boxing Championship
- 2021: Silver in the men’s 5th Elite National Championship, Bellary
- 2022: Silver at Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, England
- Food: Churma and Tomato Chutney
- Sagar started his training in boxing after completing school which is quite late as compared to other Indian boxers. During an interview, he talked about it. He said,
I was not good at studies. Mere se padhai hoti hi nahi thi. (I just couldn’t study) So, I started looking for something else to do after 12th class.”
His interest in boxing started in 2015 when he read a newspaper article on the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao. During an interview, while talking about it, he said,
I was never a bright student and I was looking for a way out. Then I saw this full page article about the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight. I got inspired by reading about them. Dono ne bada mukaam banaya, kitne saal haare hi nahi (Their careers have been iconic, they didn’t lose for so many years.”
- In an interview, Sagar shared that he used to simultaneously work on his farms with his father and attend his training classes. He said,
We have only two acres of land and I used to work in the field with my father all day. There were a lot of problems, so to change my luck, I had to start boxing. I can never say I was lacking in anything when I was training in Jhajjar. My father saw to it that I got everything in terms of diet and equipment. However, I was not able to train regularly. There were very few sparring partners as well.”
- In 2022, Sagar won a silver medal at Commonwealth Games. In an interview, when the reporters talked to Sagar’s family about his victory, his sister said that it was not a small thing to win a medal at such a young age. She further said that her brother started from zero, and he would win a gold medal next time. His mother said,
My son played very well, only after defeat one wins. We will feed him ‘churma’ once he returns.”
His family members further said that after coming to India, the first thing Sagar would do was visit the ashram of Baba Machandari Maharaj which is a tradition in Sagar’s village. His family members said,
After coming to the village, he will first come here in the ashram of Machandari Maharaj and will receive the blessings. Apart from this, after coming to the temple of Dudhadhari Maharaj and Shyam Baba, he went to take part in the Commonwealth Games. He will seek blessings by coming to all these three religious places.”
- During an interview, Sagar’s mother shared that although Sagar did not like eating meat, he had to eat as per his diet.
Sagar Ahlawat Wiki, Height, Weight, Age, Girlfriend, Family, Biography & More – WikiBio by Education Learn Academy