Sakshi Malik is a renowned Indian freestyle woman wrestler. She came into the limelight in 2016 after winning a bronze medal in the 58 kg category at the 2016 Summer Olympics. In 2014, she won the silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, and in 2015, she was the winner of the Bronze medal at the Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha. In August 2016, upon winning the Bronze at the Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category, she became the first Indian female wrestler and fourth Indian female athlete ever to win an Olympic medal.
Sachin Tendulkar was born on Thursday, 3 September 1992 (age 29 years; as of 2022) in Rohtak, Haryana, India. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She received her primary school education at Vaish Public School, Rohtak, Haryana and secondary school education at DAV Centenary Public School, Rohtak, Haryana. Soon after completing her school education, she joined Maharshi Dayanand University (MDU), Rohtak, Haryana to pursue a Master’s degree in physical education.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Sukhbir Malik, and he is a DTC Bus Conductor. Her mother’s name is Sudesh, and she works at Anganwadi.
She has a brother named Sachin Malik.
Husband & Children
On 2 April 2017, Sakshi Malik got married to Satyawart Kadian who is an Indian Wrestler.
In 2010, Sakshi Malik won a Bronze at the Junior World Championships in the 59 kg category. In 2014, she participated in the Dave Schultz International Wrestling Tournament and won a Gold medal. In August 2014, she clinched a Silver medal at the Commonwealth Games. In 2015, she participated in the Senior Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha and clinched a bronze medal. In May 2016, she defeated her opponent Zhang Lan from China in the Olympic World Qualifying Tournament and got qualified for the Rio Olympics. In August 2016, Sakshi Malik won a Bronze at the Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category after defeating Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kazakhstan. In 2022, she clinched a bronze medal at the Tunis Ranking Series event organised in Tunis, Tunisia.
— Olympic Khel (@OlympicKhel) June 10, 2022
In 2016, Sakshi Malik was appointed at the Indian Railways in the commercial department of its Delhi division by the Government of India. Later, after she won a bronze medal in Rio, she was promoted from senior clerk to gazetted officer rank. Sakshi Malik was appointed as the wrestling director of Maharshi Dayanand University (MDU) in September 2016.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
In 2016, Sakshi Malik was honoured with the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award. In 2017, she was awarded the Padma Shri.
After winning several medals in wrestling, Sakshi Malik was felicitated with cash prizes totalling over ₹5.7 crores (US$750,000) from the Indian Railways, the Indian Olympic Association, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, the Government of Delhi, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and from political party Indian National Lok Dal. The Government of Haryana granted 500 yd2 of land in her name soon after she won several medals in wrestling sports.
- Sakshi started practising wrestling when she was twelve years old. Her grandfather, Badlu Ram was a wrestler. Her father motivated her to practice wrestling.
- At the 2016 Summer Olympics, upon winning a Bronze medal in the 58 Kg wrestling category, Sakshi Malik became the first Indian female wrestler to win a medal.
- In a media conversation, once, Sakshi Malik narrated that her coach, Ishwar Dahiya, used to pick her up from her home during her training period to the coaching stadium. She added that he had to face protests from locals for the same.
- Sakshi Malik has also walked the ramps at various events.
- Sakshi Malik is trained by her personal Ishwar Dahiya who started providing her wrestling training at an Akhara in Chhotu Ram Stadium, Rohtak when she was 12 years old. Later, she received training under Indian wrestler Mandeep Singh.
- According to Sakshi Malik, she had to fight with the boys during her wrestling training period, as the girls of her region were not allowed to participate in the sport.
- In her leisure time, Sakshi Malik likes practising yoga, and travelling to distant places is her favourite recreational activity.
- In an interview with a media house, Sakshi once revealed that her personal favourite medal was the Silver medal, which she won at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- She is often featured by renowned Indian magazines and tabloids on their covers.
- Sakshi Malik remains very active on various social media platforms. She often posts her pictures and videos on social media. Over 573k people follow her Twitter handle.
Sakshi Malik Wiki, Height, Weight, Age, Biography, Husband, Caste & More – WikiBio by Education Learn Academy